Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Just how old is too old to have children?

Older WomanI came across this posting at VivirLatino.com and then an article at Scotsman.com about a 67 year old woman in Spain who gave birth to twins after undergoing fertility treatment (she is now the oldest mother on record).

Now, I don't want to be mean and I do think it's great that this woman was able to have children (it is her first birth), but I'm just not sure this is fair for the babies. This woman might not even live to be around for their teenage years. Is there a point where one needs to step back and think - Ok, I might be physically able and science may provide me the means to become a mother, but maybe I shouldn't? Is there a point where one becomes too old to enter into motherhood? Actually, this applies to men also, since they too can become fathers at a late age. But, should they?

What do you think? Just how old is too old to have children? Or, is there no age limit?

Image via stock.xchng

technorati:
, , , ,

1 comment:

Maegan la Mala said...

Forget about the age thing. My issue is the huge amount of class/$ privilage being waved around by this woman. Fertility treatments aren't cheap and while no one who truely wants to become a parent should be denied that right, the many many dollars she spent on injecting her ovaries with whatever could have been spent I'm sure on some poor Spanish orphan